It's been a while since I've written, but that's not what this is about. No, this is about work. As many readers (do I have "many" readers?) may know, my biggest point of annoyance with my job is feeling underpaid. Oh, I'll complain about long hours and hectic days. I'll bitch about computer failures and moving everything for changes to the office. But the one thing that underlies any problem I have with the workplace is looking at my paycheck and thinking "Is this what I'm worth for being on-call to fix just about anything that goes wrong? Is this all nearly eleven years of service with the same company is worth?" Well, just yesterday I had a conversation with someone in another department. I heard a tale of how she had gone to one manager expressing concern that another employee was getting paid notably below peers simply because she'd been there longer. I heard how the manager came back saying, "Whoa, you're right," t...
This afternoon, I had a dream I'd found a blind guy working shovelling coal into a furnace deep under a building. He also did incredible art using that coal on a lot of surfaces. So, I showed people his art in photos, and there was enough demand that he could quit that job, return to the surface, and be with his family, doing coal etchings. Considering he was blind, his work was pretty damn impressive. I wound up doing a news report on him, and his impending trip to China - he also knew enough to do stage magic, and wanted to learn more, so he was going to China with his family - with the money he was earning from his sketches. I came out of this feeling quite accomplished - I'd helped someone to rejoin their family and have the freedom to explore. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, that's better than waking up feeling like zombies are coming after you, yep.
ReplyDelete