Just a place to file and share thoughts, because everyone needs one these days, right?
Fantasy Authors
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Caught a link to a short article here that links to a more detailed discussion in which some established fantasy authors talk about income earned by writing. It's another "behind the curtain" sort of thing that I like to see.
I had some discussion about story and presentation, having just done Arah in GW2 this weekend for a couple people. So here are some sort of general thoughts... Now, it should be acknowledged that telling a player-driven story in an MMO and offering real choice may be a Sisyphean task. Offering real choice means more development time in making branches of the story. Making any story that centers on the PC involves some slight-of-hand in a multiplayer environment to be even remotely believable. And on top of that, opinions vary on what the best way really is. WoW : The game always kind of skirts the issue of player involvement. Big bad bosses are taken down by "heroes" or NPCs. Questgivers occasionally show recognition for the PC, but it's pretty trivial and interchangeable. With major bits of story "told" through raids, it's pretty easy to miss out on some things, too - though Blizzard has been more inclusive with LFR instances and such. Ultimately, I so...
Two posts in one night? Aiiieeee! But seriously, something came up that reminded me of a question I wanted to pose to those of you who read this: What, to you, makes a roleplaying game? I'm not looking for some textbook "any game in which you act out a role" unless that's really all that is important about it to you. When you play an RPG, what do you expect? What element of the game do you miss if it's not there? ... And so on.
It's been a while since I've written, but that's not what this is about. No, this is about work. As many readers (do I have "many" readers?) may know, my biggest point of annoyance with my job is feeling underpaid. Oh, I'll complain about long hours and hectic days. I'll bitch about computer failures and moving everything for changes to the office. But the one thing that underlies any problem I have with the workplace is looking at my paycheck and thinking "Is this what I'm worth for being on-call to fix just about anything that goes wrong? Is this all nearly eleven years of service with the same company is worth?" Well, just yesterday I had a conversation with someone in another department. I heard a tale of how she had gone to one manager expressing concern that another employee was getting paid notably below peers simply because she'd been there longer. I heard how the manager came back saying, "Whoa, you're right," t...
Comments
Post a Comment