Yeah. Of course, I'm skeptical, too. They've been playing up the whole 'strong storyline personalized based on the character you choose' thing (and apparently there are claims of how it will be the first 'all voiced' MMORPG). That sounds awesome, but in my experience and theorizing, it seems like strong story and interactivity are mutually exclusive in these sorts of games. Now, I've seen how I can be proven wrong in that with the phasing introduced in Wrath, but even then you have problems of being unable to do certain things with people who aren't in the same phase. So... I'm excited at the possibility, but I have yet to comprehend how they're actually going to fill all their growing promises. We'll see in a few years, I guess. ;)
Alas, I'm gonna roll a bounty hunter. Maybe after a while a Light-Side toon of some sort, but for now my love is for the gal with the gadgets. And jet-backpack. And flamethrower.
I guess poor sleep is better than no sleep? Ugh. Tossed and turned for quite a while last night, and then still didn't sleep well up to and including the mutant-backcountry-murderer-family-horror-movie-style nightmare. Ah well, what can you do? A couple WoW observations (and I finally have my Valor Medal of the First War trinket I've been putting off): 1) The guild has grown recently, with some people joining from the MUCK and some coworkers signing up. None of them are level 80 yet, but if they don't peter out by the time they get there, we might actually need to start thinking about raid scheduling. 2) Group composition really matters - and I'm not just talking about having a tank, healer, and DPS. We ran heroic Nexus last night with 2 of or usual engame characters, 1 alt, and 2 players not usually a part of our heroic runs. I am not, in any way, saying we did badly, but it wasn't nearly as smooth as our usual group. A bit of that might have been less familia...
I had some discussion about story and presentation, having just done Arah in GW2 this weekend for a couple people. So here are some sort of general thoughts... Now, it should be acknowledged that telling a player-driven story in an MMO and offering real choice may be a Sisyphean task. Offering real choice means more development time in making branches of the story. Making any story that centers on the PC involves some slight-of-hand in a multiplayer environment to be even remotely believable. And on top of that, opinions vary on what the best way really is. WoW : The game always kind of skirts the issue of player involvement. Big bad bosses are taken down by "heroes" or NPCs. Questgivers occasionally show recognition for the PC, but it's pretty trivial and interchangeable. With major bits of story "told" through raids, it's pretty easy to miss out on some things, too - though Blizzard has been more inclusive with LFR instances and such. Ultimately, I so...
If I can remember, I need to post this on the guild forum, too (when I'm home and have my login info)... I would like to extend an offer to my guildmates in Warcraft. My work schedule may be a difficulty in my life, but my actual job leaves me with a fair bit of downtime (crises notwithstanding). Among other things, I've used this time to research gear, rotations, and builds for my characters. There's information scattered all over. I recognize not everyone in the guild has this time to spare. So, my friends, I am offering you some of that time. If any guildmates wish to know more about what items, rotations, talents, stats, etc. are best for their chosen class/build - let me know what you want to learn about and I'll try to compile something approaching a guide. I don't come up with these numbers, but there's a lot of sources out there with people who do, and it's usually possible to pull together a cohesive picture from them. In addition to, hopefull...
Dang, looks like some Jedi are getting jacked there. This could be an MMO I'd try.
ReplyDeleteYeah. Of course, I'm skeptical, too. They've been playing up the whole 'strong storyline personalized based on the character you choose' thing (and apparently there are claims of how it will be the first 'all voiced' MMORPG). That sounds awesome, but in my experience and theorizing, it seems like strong story and interactivity are mutually exclusive in these sorts of games. Now, I've seen how I can be proven wrong in that with the phasing introduced in Wrath, but even then you have problems of being unable to do certain things with people who aren't in the same phase. So... I'm excited at the possibility, but I have yet to comprehend how they're actually going to fill all their growing promises. We'll see in a few years, I guess. ;)
ReplyDeleteWell, it -IS- the fall of Coruscant to the Sith, the good guys gotta lose.. at least at first.
ReplyDeleteAlas, I'm gonna roll a bounty hunter. Maybe after a while a Light-Side toon of some sort, but for now my love is for the gal with the gadgets. And jet-backpack. And flamethrower.
ReplyDelete